Thursday, October 06, 2011

Lunch time activities: Revolution

 I’ve been wishing I lived in New York City for the past few days just so that I could participate in the occupation of Wall Street. I’ve also been researching what demonstrations are going on and being planned in Los Angeles. I wrote a Tweet I didn’t post: “Revolution is brewing and you people are tweeting about a dead gazillionaire.”


This afternoon at around 1:15 I leave my office to get a sandwich and as I’m walking out of my building I see something is going on a block away. I know what it is. At least I hope it is what I think it is. I run back upstairs and grab my phone and Flip camera and head over there. By the time I got down there the intersection of Figueroa and 7th is swarming with LAPD; I look up and see helicopters. It’s going down bitches.

I start recording immediately and suddenly find myself in the middle of the street among the protesters. A large open deck truck carrying people is smack in the middle of the street inching into position. On one corner, Chase Bank and right across, Bank of America. I just keep on recording and chanting and taking pictures at the same time. I hold back tears. I can’t believe I’m there. I've never been in the right place at the right time.My faith in Americans is renewed and I'm surprised my love for humanity is still in me. It’s the first time in a long time I feel truly alive.

Things get a little tense when protesters who have entered Bank of America start getting arrested and thrown into the paddy wagon. These people are real heroes. Would I get risk arrested again? I don’t know the answer to that. Yet.

The whole thing is over in about 40 minutes. The speakers in the truck thank the LAPD for being good sports and demand they get a raise. Then I head over to the Chase ATM and get the $40 I needed. I get back to the office and ask a coworker to go get me a gyros since I didn’t get lunch.

Viva la Revolucion!






















No comments: